Photo of the Day
Rose Tree Fire Company encourages all residents to change their smoke detector batteries (and carbon monoxide detector batteries when you reset your clocks this weekend. Once you change the batteries, TEST the detectors to be sure they are working. If your detector is 10 years old or older, it should be replaced.
A fire can double in size every 30 seconds. The sound of the alarm will give you and your family those few extra seconds to get out and stay out of your home. Checking your smoke detector and carbon monoxide alarm and changing the battery are one of the simplest things you can do to protect your family.
To learn about how smoke alarms work and why they are so important, follow this link to the National Fire Protection Association:
The Ladies Auxiliary is hosting a St. Patty’s Day party at the firehouse on Saturday, March 14, 2015 at 7:00pm. There will be appetizers, dinner and desserts. BYOB. There will also be a DJ and door prizes. Tickets are $20 per person. All proceeds benefit the fire company. Call Belle 610-513-2920 or Bea 510-506-5499 for tickets.
February 10, 2015 – On Tuesday evening, members of Rose Tree Fire Company; along with Media Fire Company, Middletown Fire Company, Rocky Run Fire Company, and Edgmont Fire Company, went to the Rose Tree Media School District’s bus garage. Firefighters reviewed the district’s new compressed natural gas (CNG) powered buses and went over special considerations when dealing with bus accidents or emergencies at the garage. Special thanks to Fire Marshal Alan Mancill and staff of the school district’s bus depot for an informative night of training.
January 31, 2015 - On Saturday evening, members of Rose Tree Fire Company enjoyed a night off to attend our annual Awards and Installation Banquet at the Towne House Restaurant. Special guests included some of our close mutual aid companies, local government officials, township Fire Marshal and Upper Providence Township Police Chief.
During this event, the new 2015 officers were officially sworn into their positions and members were recognized for their participation throughout the year. Awards were presented to the Top Ten responders for the year as well as the Top Ten attendance for training sessions.
In addition to the enormous efforts that each member devotes throughout the year, we select one individual who exhibits outstanding performance and dedication to the organization. The recipient is chosen by nominations from peers. The 2014 Firefighter of the Year Award was presented to junior firefighter Matthew Hatton. Congratulations Matt! We thank you for your enthusiasm and commitment. Well deserved!
The traditional “Old Timers Award” was presented to Firefighter Charles Jordan. We thank Charlie for all of the time and effort he dedicates to our organization.
Media Fire Company, Newtown Square Fire Company, as well as neighboring mutual aid companies who were available for any calls in the township while our members had an opportunity to enjoy an evening of fellowship and socializing with active members of past and present.
- NEVER use a stove or oven to heat the home.
- If using a space heater, place it on a level, hard surface and keep it at least THREE (3) FEET away from anything that can burn, such as paper, clothing, bedding, curtains or rugs.
- If using a fireplace, keep the screen or doors closed to catch sparks and rolling logs. Make sure burning embers are out before going to bed.
- Maintain and operate portable generators in accordance with the manufacturer’s use and safety instructions.
- Never operate a generator inside the home, including in the basement or garage. The smoke from a running generator contains carbon monoxide and needs to be properly ventilated.
See attached safety sheets on carbon monoxide and portable generator safety.
• Regularly check your home for fire hazards.
• Practice safe cooking behaviors; such as not leaving the kitchen when you are cooking on the stovetop.
• Install, TEST and maintain smoke alarms on every floor of your home.
• Develop an emergency plan. Make sure everyone knows how to get outside quickly and pick a location for everyone to meet once outside. Having a plan and practicing it can save your life!
For more fire safety tips and ways to avoid fire hazards, please visit: www.nfpa.org/safety-information
The American Red Cross is holding a Blood Drive on January 5, 2015 at our station – 1275 N. Providence Road, Media PA 19063. This drive is being held in memory of Rocky, a founding member of Rose Tree Fire Company, who coordinated many of the previous blood drives at our station.
The Blood Drive will be held from 2:00pm – 7:00pm. Appointments are preferred. For an appointment, please call 1-800-RED CROSS or sign up online at www.redcrossblood.org. Enter Sponsor Code: Rose Tree Fire.
Saturday Dec 13th 9:30 am – 11:30 am
Zone 4 – All streets south of Baltimore Pike and also all streets off Farnum Rd. and Meetinghouse Rd.
Saturday Dec 13th 12:30 pm – 3:30 pm
Zone 1 – All streets in the area of East Rose Tree Rd., Berry Lane, Paxon Hollow Rd., Dog Kennel Rd., Palmers Mill Rd. and Mansion Dr.
Saturday Dec 13th 5:30 pm – 8:30 pm
Zone 3 – All streets / neighborhoods that are south of US 1 and East of N. Providence Rd. including First Ave., Sandybank Rd., Valley View Rd., Summit Rd., Rose Tree Estates, State Rd., Winter St., Summer St., and Over Hill Circle.
Sunday Dec 14th 12:00 pm – 3:30 pm
Zone 5 – All streets North of Rose Tree Park and North of West Rose Tree Rd.
Sunday Dec 14th 5:30 pm – 8:30 pm
Cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home injuries. The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking. With the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday, it’s important to be alert to prevent cooking fires.
What you should know:
- Be attentive! If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol don’t use the oven or stovetop.
- Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.
- If you are simmering, baking, roasting, or boiling food, check it regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
- Keep anything that can catch fire — oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains — away from your stovetop.
If you have a cooking fire:
- Get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire.
- Call 9-1-1 after you leave.
- If you try to fight the fire, be sure others are getting out and you have a clear way out.
- Keep a lid nearby when you’re cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
- For an oven fire turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
Also, the National Fire Protection Association DISCOURAGES the use of outdoor gas-fuel turkey fryer that immerse the turkey in hot oil. See link for more details:
For more thanksgiving safety tips: